March 21st, 2017
Life as a start-up entrepreneur certainly has its highs and lows but the last two years have been a rollercoaster ride worth every white-knuckle moment, in my opinion.
7 awards, 4 times short-listed, a Sunday Times feature and a pitch to Royalty – these are all highs that have kept me on track in my mission to bring the sharing economy into every in the UK.
Only yesterday a new user signed up as a Borroclub member and borrowed a gazebo, 10 chairs and 2 tables for her daughter’s 8th birthday. This in turn put money into the pocket of two local lenders, one of them being the charity AgeUK, who have now rented out their pink gazebo a record 8 times.
The dips, and yes there have been several, have been the times when Borroclub has faced obstacles, such as being overlooked for not being based in the south, and losing coverage in favour of big business, or simply misunderstood by being a little too ahead of its time?
Naturally the journey of a new start-up is never an easy one but the knock-backs only serve to make us stronger. I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has supported us over the last two years and to share with you the accolades which have kept us going and made us more determined than ever to make Borroclub a household name.
The sharing economy continues to grow in prominence and the forthcoming tax year brings with it new tax breaks which will benefit all our customers as they increase the sharing of their items.
And so to our highlights:
- Award Winner (UK) – MEBC Winner, in the Public Sustainability category, Link here
- Shortlisted (UK) – In the Midlands region to pitch to Prince Andrew in the Pitch at the Palace competition. Link here
- Honourable mention (UK) – Dax Lovegrove, ex Head of Sustainability for WWF and B&Q, mentioned us at the National Business Awards as one of the Top 10 sustainability initiatives, named alongside, Apple, Tesla, H&M, Link here
- Finalist (Barcelona, Europe) – Call for Solutions at the Smart City World expo finalist in the Circular Economy Champion category (Barcelona), Link here
- Invited to host a talk (World) – We hosted an online talk at the Circular economy themed Disruptive Innovation Festival organised by Dame Ellen MacArthur.
- Award Winner (UK) – Making Birmingham Greener & Healthier awards, winner for Best Waste & Recycling, chosen by Birmingham City Council and Veolia, Link here
- Honourable mention (UK) – Birmingham City Council waste paper strategy, we were mentioned in the councils waste strategy paper, Link here
- Award winner (UK) – Real Business Winner the top 50 businesses that are fundamentally changing the industries in which they operate. Previous winners include CrowdCube, Made.com, Funding Circle and TransferWise, Link here
- Nominated (UK) – BQ Emerging Entrepreneur awards, Link here
- National press (UK) – Sunday Times business feature, Link here
- Shortlisted (UK) – MEBC for the Innovation award
- Grant recipient (UK) – Climate KIC winner & grant recipient to further develop the business. Link here
- Winner (UK) – Chamber of Commerce for the Best use of innovation.
- Winner (UK) – Chamber of Commerce, regional winner for business in the community
- Winner (UK) – Forest of Arden Marriott Hotel & Solihull Observer Six of the Best Award
We couldn’t have achieved all the above without our members, please continue to support us and spread the word and keep chanting – don’t buy it, borro it!
« Back To The Blog